How to distinguish copper from brass and bronze. Color brass, bronze, copper
Are you interested in how to distinguish copper from brass and bronze? Supplier Evek GmbH offers to buy non-ferrous rolled metal products at an affordable price in a wide range. We will ensure the delivery of products to any point of the continent. The price is optimal.
Differences between copper and bronze
Bronze, being an alloy of copper with tin and a number of other metals, differs in the following parameters:
- By color: bronze is darker than copper, and has a characteristic dark red hue, sometimes with the presence of brown flowers;
- Bronze is harder than copper;
- If the surface of copper products is exposed to a hot electrolyte solution — for example, NaCl or FeCl 3, then the treated area will darken after a while. The bronze part will change its color much less noticeably;
- If the copper part is exposed to concentrated nitric acid, the surface becomes azure, which is not observed with bronze;
- The thermal conductivity of bronze is lower than the thermal conductivity of copper, therefore, for an equal thickness of two blanks, bronze is heated faster than copper;
- Bronze is considered a less viscous alloy in comparison with copper, so it is easier to drill bronze because of the lack of flush chips;
- Some brands of bronze, in particular, beryllium are markedly hardened by hardening and subsequent aging; As a result, strength and hardness can reach the characteristics characteristic of steels.
Supplier Evek GmbH offers to buy brass rolled products of domestic and foreign production at an affordable price in a wide range. We will ensure the delivery of products to any point of the continent. The price is optimal.
Differences between copper and brass
Brass, as an alloy of copper with zinc, has a lighter color, with a lemon-yellow hue. This shade is formed with time, with the prolonged stay of the brass part in the air. Therefore, in order to make a better comparison, the product is usually treated with a detergent intended for cleaning non-ferrous metals and alloys. In addition, the following methods are used in production:
- In the reflected light of the LED lamp, or under direct sunlight on the polished brass rod, the strips of a darker shade are clearly visible;
- When impacted on a hollow brass rod, the sound is heard more subtle in timbre. Copper, as a softer metal, produces a muffled sound;
- Copper profiles are marked either with the letter M, or are not marked at all. The initial rolling of brasses always has the designation A;
- When an electric current of the same force is transmitted through a copper and brass wire of one cross-section, the brass wire heats up more;
- Copper parts in household sanitary fixtures are found much less often brass because of their high cost.
Buy. Supplier, price
Are you interested in how to distinguish copper from brass and bronze? Supplier Evek GmbH offers to buy non-ferrous metal products at the manufacturer’s price. We will ensure the delivery of products to any point of the continent. The price is optimal. We invite you to partner cooperation.