How to distinguish copper from brass and bronze. Color brass, bronze, copper
Are you interested in how to distinguish copper from brass and bronze? Tips from the supplier — Electrovek-Steel companies will help you make the right choice of brand and type of rolled metal
Electrovek-Steel offers various types of brass profiles at affordable prices. The supplier guarantees the timely delivery of products to the address specified by the customer.
Differences between copper and bronze
Bronze, being an alloy of copper with tin and a number of other metals, differs in the following parameters:
- By color: bronze is darker than copper, and has a characteristic dark red hue, sometimes with the presence of brown flowers;
- Bronze is harder than copper;
- When exposed to the surface of copper products hot solution of electrolyte — for example, NaCl or FeCl 3, then the treated area after a while will darken. The bronze part will change its color much less noticeably;
- When exposed to a copper component of concentrated nitric acid, the surface becomes azure, which is not observed with bronze;
- The thermal conductivity of bronze is lower than the thermal conductivity of copper, so when exposed to the same temperature, and with an equal thickness of two blanks, bronze is heated faster than copper;
- Bronze is considered to be a less viscous alloy than copper, so when machining it is easier to drill bronze because of the lack of flush chips;
- Some brands of bronze, in particular, beryllium, are considerably hardened during hardening and subsequent aging; As a result, strength and hardness can reach the characteristics characteristic of steels.
Rolled brasses of various brands are offered at an economically reasonable price from the manufacturer by Electrovek-Steel. The supplier guarantees prompt delivery of products to the point marked by the customer.
Differences between copper and brass
Brass, as an alloy of copper with zinc, has a lighter color, with a lemon-yellow hue. This shade is formed with time, with the prolonged stay of the brass part in the air. Therefore, in order to make a better comparison, the product is usually treated with a detergent intended for cleaning non-ferrous metals and alloys. In addition, the following methods are used in production:
- In the reflected light of the LED lamp, or under direct sunlight on the polished brass bar, the strips of a darker shade are clearly visible;
- When the impact on the hollow brass rod, the sound is heard more subtle in timbre. Copper, as a softer metal, produces a muffled sound;
- Copper profiles are marked either with the letter M, or are not marked at all. The initial rolling of brasses always has the designation A;
- When an electric current of the same force is transmitted through a copper and brass wire of one cross-section, the brass wire heats up more;
- Copper parts in household sanitary fixtures are found much less often brass because of their high cost.
The company Electrovek-Steel offers at affordable prices the manufacturer of rolled products and blanks of brass of various brands. The supplier ensures timely delivery of the product to the customer.